Erythrina cristina galli (Ceibo) is the National flower of Argentina. The Erythrina is a South American tree, with carmine red flowers and a crooked trunk. Locally Erythrina is called as ceibo, sebo or bucar. Common names of Erythrina include, Cockspur Coral Tree, Cock’s Comb, Common Coral Tree, Cry-Baby Tree.
Erythrina flowers bloom on the Erythrina crista-galli tree, which is a flowering tree of the family Fabaceae. In English it is known as the Cockspur coral tree. Erythrina is a native of Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Paraguay. Erythrina grows to a height of 10-20 mtrs.
Did you know? The name Erythrina means coral tree from the Greek word for red, in allusion to the colour of the flowers.
Erythrina flowers bloom between November and February.Two of the four petals of the flower, called wings, are so small that they are overshadowed by the calyx. The other two petals partially bind together on occasion and form the flower’s keel or carina, protecting the reproductive organs.
Facts About Erythrina
- The Cockspur coral tree flower is the national flower of Argentina and Uruguay.
- The tree is the official city tree of Los Angeles, California where it is referred as the coral tree.
- Erythrina flower was declared the National Flower of the Republic of Argentina on December 2, 1942.
- Erythrina flowers are hermaphrodite.
- The species is characteristic of the formation known as gallery forest.
- Erythrina is found naturally along water courses, in swamps and wetlands, and it is also grown in urban settings such as parks due to the appeal of its bright red flowers.
- Erythrina plant contains alkaloids that have powerful narcotic and purgative effects.
- Common Naked Coral Tree has white flower clusters, red flower clusters and mixed colored clusters on the same plant from February to June.
- There are about 100 species of Erythrina.
- Erythrina acanthocarpa, Erythrina x bidwillii, Erythrina coralloides, Erythrina coralloides ‘Bicolor’, Eyrthrina falcata, Erythrina humeana, Erythrina humeana var. raja, Erythrina speciosa (Pink form), Erythrina x sykesii are some of the other species of Erythrina.
- Seeds of all Erythrina species are reported to be poisonous if ingested.
- The tiger’s claw spines of the coral tree can snag clothing and skin.
- The wood of the Erythrina is very light and porous; and it is used for the construction of rafts, model aircrafts and beehives.
- Erythrina flowers are commonly pollinated by perching birds (passerines) and hummingbirds.
- Erythrina species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Endoclita damor, Hypercompe eridanus and Hypercompe icasia.
There is no dearth of flowers for the people of Argentina. There are many online florists who deliver flowers to Argentina. You can send flowers of your choice to your loved ones living in Argentina, through these Online florists Argentina.
Facts About Argentina
The official name of Argentina is Republica Argentina, comprising 2.8 million sq. km in area. Buenos Aires is the capital. The population is 37 million, and Peso is the currency. The national flag of Argentina has three horizontal stripes, the top and bottom sky blue with a white stripe in the middle, and a sun superimposed in the centre.
Argentines are fiercely nationalistic. Argentina got its Independence on July 9, 1816. The first Argentineans lived there as far as 13,000 years ago. Its inhabitants were hunters and nomadic gatherers. Approximately 90 percent of the population is nominally Roman Catholic, 10 percent of Argentines are actively practicing Catholics.
Ethnics include Spanish, Italian, indigenous peoples (including Colla, Toba, Wichi, Mapuche, Guarani). Polular languages are Spanish, Italian, English, French, German, and indigenous languages. Religions followed include Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism, and Islam.
Education is highly valued in the Argentinian society. Argentina has about 50 universities. The University of Buenos Aires is the largest university in South America, with 140,000 students. The oldest university in Argentina is C?rdoba, founded by the Spanish in 1613. Nobel prizes have been awarded to five Argentinians till date.
Argentina is one of the most successful national football teams, having won two World Cups and one Olympic Title. Argentina is the synonym of Football around the world.