Flower Blog Archive - February 2009
The Flower Expert welcomes the flower enthusiasts to the special feature - Flower Blogs where the flower lovers can share the knowledge about flowers and flower related topics with the flower admiring community world-wide.
For any general questions and doubts on flower blogs and blogging, you are requested to go through Frequently Asked Questions on Flower Blog.
In addition, the Step-by-Step Guide To Flower Blog gives you a a detailed notes on how to blog on flowers.
Post your comments on anything related to Flowers & Floral Industry. You can create a blog instantly without the hassle of username and password. And you can also view our monthly .
Mother's Day Ideas -- Drawing Flowers
A Mother's day Bouquet Ideas
In case, you want to do everything creatively by your hands, just pluck beautiful flowers from your garden and arrange them beautifully in bunch.
A simple Bouquet made by you
- Tie the flowers gathered by you all with cello tape and wrap this bunch in cute motherÃ¢??s day cellophane paper.
- Now adorn it with ribbons and frills.
- Stick a small card and present it to your mom when she is relaxing.
- This small gesture of love of yours would certainly increase that relaxation and happiness.
A New Mother - 2
Though a mother ever expects any thing from you in return for love for you, still flowers are always welcomed. Flowers lighten the mood and spread fragrance of love in the ambience.
Flowers as a gift are never expensive when compared to other gift items. You can find variety of flowers from the florists shop and even exotic ones. Take care that you choose flowers which are your motherÃ¢??s favorite. Get a beautiful bouquet, adorned with ribbons and other ornaments. You can also attach a nice motherÃ¢??s day card with a cute message written on it.
A New Mother - 1
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. Mother has never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
Mother is one of the most lovable person in the world for you. On her special day that is MotherÃ¢??s Day, you would love to treat her specially. Flowers can be one of the best ways to wish your mom and express your feelings of love towards her.
Flowers can make any occasion delightful and lovely, be it anniversary, birthday or any festival. When you gift flowers to anybody, you will notice an instant smile at her face. Another thing is flowers reflect soft feelings and emotions inside you. You can choose any kind of flowers like roses, lilies, daffodils, carnations or any other; giving any of these flowers to your mom as the motherÃ¢??s day gift reflects that how much you care for your mom and express your love for her.
Tips for making Mothers Day Flowers
Use colored cupcake liners to make attractive paper flowers for Mom.
- Get a container of colored paper cupcake liners and some green construction paper.
- Cut stems and leaves out of the construction paper.
- Choose one liner per flower to be the bloom of the flower.
- Keep the liner standing upright and do not crush it.
- Glue a cotton ball in the center of the cupcake holder to represent the inside of the flower.
- Attach the entire flower bloom to the top of the stem with glue.
- Allow the flower to dry.
- Write a message on the stem or leaves wishing Mom a happy Mother's Day.
Why Different Dates for Mother's Day?
Do you ever wonder why there are different days for Mother's day and Mothering Sunday in the world.
In Ireland and the UK, Mothering Sunday is related to Easter. It falls on the fourth Sunday of Lent - which happens to be a different date from year to year - and it is thought that the tradition is related to a mid-Lent festival in which people were encouraged to return to their mother church (ie. the church in which they were baptised) to renew their vows of obstinence.
The Mother's Day, which is celebrated in the USA and a number of other countries including Australia, Belgium, Denmark and Italy, falls on the second Sunday in May and is a more recent tradition. It is being celebrated since 1914.
Mother's Day in USA
The following are the dates of Mother's day for the coming years in USA.
- In the year 2008 - Mother's day in USA - 11 th May
- In the year 2009 - Mother's day in USA - 10 th May
- In the year 2010 - Mother's day in USA - 9 th May
- In the year 2011 - Mother's day in USA - 8 th May
- In the year 2012 - Mother's day in USA - 13 th May
- In the year 2013 - Mother's day in USA - 12 th May
- In the year 2014 - Mother's day in USA - 11 th May
- In the year 2015 - Mother's day in USA - 10 th May
- In the year 2016 - Mother's day in USA - 8 th May
Mothering Sunday in UK
Mothering Sunday is not celebrated on the same day every year in UK. This year in 2009, its falling on 22 nd March. This is because it is always the middle Sunday in Lent. This means that Mothers Day in the UK will fall on different dates each year and sometimes even fall in different months.
The following are the dates of Mothering sunday for the coming years.
- In the year 2008 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 2 nd March
- In the year 2009 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 22 nd March
- In the year 2010 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 14 th March
- In the year 2011 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 3 rd April
- In the year 2012 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 18 th March
- In the year 2013 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 10 th March
- In the year 2014 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 30 th March
- In the year 2015 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 15 th March
- In the year 2016 - Mothering Sunday day in UK - 6 th March
Did you know?
Mothering Sunday in UK, is sometimes known as Simnel Sunday or Refreshment Sunday, because of the tradition of baking Simnel cakes.
Mother's Day in US in 2009 - would be celebrated on 10th May.
Mothering Sunday of UK
Mothering Sunday in UK in 2009 - would be celebrated on 22 nd March. Mothering Sunday is almost equal to Mother's day of the USA.
Mothering Sunday in UK is not a fixed day because it is always the middle Sunday in Lent. This means that Mothers Day in the UK will fall on different dates each year and sometimes even fall in different months.
Mothering Sunday has been celebrated in the UK on the fourth Sunday in Lent since at least the 16th century.
Flowers to India, Gifts to India, Cakes to India at the same day.
Flowers to India, Gifts to India, Cakes to India at the same day.
A friend of mine visited London recently and sent me her experiences which I wanted to share
On Feb 6 th, I was in the midst of several colors with fragrances unforgettable. They were the flowers of different wonderful colours at Columbia Road flower market.
I had visited London several times, but this was the one I would never forget in my lifetime.Read More
Tips on taking care of Valentines flowers
"Valentine's is a day of love. You want something to last"
Buy fresh, quality blooms, and consider their vase life. Tulips, given proper care, will look good for about five days. Roses and lilies will last a week. Mums and carnations, however, linger on.
Be good to your flowers:
Ã¢?Â¢ Fill a clean vase with tepid water. Add a packet of commercial flower food to feed the blooms and discourage bacterial buildup. Or add a pinch of sugar and a few drops of bleach.
Ã¢?Â¢ Remove foliage that would be underwater; this also discourages bacteria. (To avoid stains, carefully remove pollen-covered lily stamens).
Ã¢?Â¢ Recut stems at an angle to ensure water uptake. Immediately place them in the vase.
Ã¢?Â¢ Display your flowers in a cool spot. Avoid direct sunlight and heating or cooling vents, a killer for tulips.
Ã¢?Â¢ Add water as needed; change when cloudy.
Ã¢?Â¢ Remove wilting flowers. The ethylene they give off may cause other flowers to wilt. Irises are among the first to go.
And don't be alarmed if tulips snake, bend and continue, perhaps like your love to grow
Roses are ValentineÃ¢??s Day tradition
February 14 is Valentine's Day and millions of beautiful roses will be given to sweethearts all over the world to demonstrate their true love. Of all flowers none has been so much associated with romance as roses.
It is said that Cleopatra welcomed Marc Antony in a room filled with rose petals up to their knees. Considering the price of a dozen, long stemmed roses in mid winter, the cost of filling even a small bowl with rose petals is prohibitive.
Reasons why roses cost so much right now are due to the seasonal demand and the cost of importing such a tender and highly perishable product from South America or sometimes from Israel.Growing roses locally in northern greenhouses is very expensive. Many times the greenhouse roses must have supplemental light and enhanced carbon dioxide added. They must be picked at just the exact stage of development, when the green colored sepals that surround the unopened bud just begin to curl away from the bud.
When you get the roses home remove the wrapping, strip off any lower leaves that might be under water when arranged and make a fresh cut about an inch above the bottom of the stem.
Use the preservative that is usually supplied with the flowers in your prettiest vase and they should last ten days at least.
Valentine's Day Ideas
If you are are in a hurry to decide on the gifts to be given to your valentine, these ideas may help you to give you a clear picture.
- Instead of voicing the usual "I Love You" in the same old-fashioned way, try to play with words to see their effect and speak out everything that promises to linger on in the memory forever.
- Make sure to spend loads of time together filled with candlelight dinners and clandestine visits to romantic spots.
- Fill your surrounding atmosphere with the melody of romantic musical tracks that are free from noisy disturbance and ties the lovers with the music of love.
- If your sweetheart finds gadgets and gizmos interesting, gift the most appealing valentines day presents for him or her.
- Gifting a nice cell phone to your beloved would promise to keep both of you on all-time communication mode.
- Though chocolates and greeting cards seem to be a bit run-of-the-mill, they can never go out from the Valentine gift-giving tradition and they will be attracting more and more lovers in all times to come.
- Moreover, gifting groovy or traditional apparel is always considered to be fashionable because they keep the remembrance of gift and gift giver alive.
- Also, scented bouquets of roses, tulips and ordering flowers work wonders in turning the romantic mood on. So, don't forget to present way before you proceed for all your endeavors.
Some Romantic Ideas for your Valentine day
Here are some romantic valentines ideas that will help you find answer to questions like what to do on Valentine's Day
- Well I believe if you want to make your valentine feel special then a great idea for you is to place a small love note with three magical words written on it 'I Love You' and place it besides her bed and see the miraculous effects.
- Take a day's leave from office and plan the day with your loved one.
- Prepare some nice valentines cookie recipe in the shape of heart and I'm sure your partner will love it.
- Romantic long drive and a candle light dinner is a fabulous idea.
- Do not forget to present her a bouquet of red roses because to express love what better way than flowers.
- Instead of buying a card, this valentine's day do something different. Prepare a nice colorful card and do not forget to write love quotes.
- There are lot many things to do for Valentine Day like go to a disco and party.
- This is the day when words are not enough. Some action is also required to make the day different. Well I hope you must have got an idea that I'm talking about giving your spouse a nice tight hug.
- Decorate the house for the special occasion. Implement smart tricks for creating the mood for romance. Dim lights, light music, romantic songs and most importantly attire a nice costume specially meant for Valentine's Day. Adorn yourself with jewelry and other fashion accessories.
- Propose your partner and tell her/him how special and important he/she is for you and that it is difficult to imagine your life without them.
- Hold each other's hands and go for a short walk.
Roses and Valentine
Valentine and Roses are symbolic of each other on Valentines day.
We had taken a number of photos with different colored flowers. On our last V-day, I picked up a few Roses, handmade papers and the best shots from our last trip.
As my beloved has a beautiful photogenic face too. I really love her and I made a beautiful photo album and opposite each picture, I wrote some interesting things related to the picture.
I left the last page blank and pasted a note saying- I have saved the last page for our wedding picture, tell me the date soon, have to start saving. She was extremely touched and before I knew it she had said yes to my marriage proposal.
We got married 6 months back, and I recall that day even today which we celebrate.
Ideas sure to succeed on Valentines day
One of the most dreaded days of the year, Valentine's Day is an annual staple of every relationship, in which guys try to express their feelings with expensive, impersonal gifts in lieu of telling their significant other how they really feel. Instead of shelling out dough for the trite chocolate and flowers their father delivers to them anyway, try something new this year
1. Make her something: Nothing says "I love you" like presenting her with burnt bread pudding or chocolate souffle that didn't seem to rise. Instead of buying her chocolates from Russell Stover or Godiva this year, download your own chocolate recipe and make your own brand.
2. Engrave her iPod: While she's at class have her roommate steal her iPod and get it engraved. Enscribe the chorus of "your song" or a quote that always makes her giggle. Whenever she pulls out her music-maker, she'll have something that reminds her of you.
3. Digital picture frame: Pick out those "Facebook worthy" photos and load them onto a digital frame. This way, images of you and her together are always flashing through her room, even if they aren't in her mind.
4. Flowers. Do not just order roses and expect her to be wowed. Find out her favorite flowers beyond red roses and intersperse them into your bouquet. Then pull out those crafting skills and see if you can personalize the vase for an extra touch.
7 steps to a happy Valentines Day dinner with your lady
Valentine's Day can be a budget breaker. But if your budget is limited, don't despair, there's a lot you can do to set the ambience for this special day while making sure your partner is spoilt rotten.
Here are a few ideas to get you started..
Strewn rose petals capture one's heart much better than a bouquet of roses put on the table as a centre piece. Because the rose petals are red it will be a brilliant idea to get a plain white tablecloth. You can add tea lights for a simple centre piece.
Create a boardwalk with rose petals. Start from the threshold to the dining table to make your Valentine feels special.
For a more professional look, put rose petals on the rims of the plates as well.
Call your squeezeÃ¢??s mother and find out what her favourite dish is and get the recipe and make it for them.Try chocolate mousse.
If you get her flowers, wrap them yourself. It doesnÃ¢??t have to be a bouquet from the shop you can pick a few from the garden but please wrap them yourself.
If its chocolates, buy a pretty box, put the chocolates inside, buy matching tissue paper and ribbon to dress up the box and you have the ideal budget gift.
Seal the deal with a kiss and bon appÃÂ©tit.
Valentine's Day Sales Slow Down This Year, but Not by Much
A survey released these would be facts for this year 2009 during valentine's day season.
Love is in the air, but cash gets a slight squeeze. Consumers plan to spend an average $102.50 on Valentine's Day gifts and merchandise, versus $122.08 per person last year, according to the National Retail Federation's 2009 Valentine's Day Consumer Intentions and Actions survey. Total Valentine's Day spending is expected to reach $14.7 billion.
People will continue to spend on traditional Valentine's gifts, including jewelry, flowers, and greeting cards.
- This year - 16 % jewellery, whereas earlier - 16.6 % in 2008,
- This year - 35.7 % flowers, whereas earlier - 35.9 % in 2008.
According to the survey, the majority of people (90.8 percent) will spend the most on their spouse ($67.22), with other family members such as children getting about one fifth of their budget ($20.95). Consumers will also spend on friends ($4.74), children's classmates/teachers ($3.59), coworkers ($1.94), and pets ($2.17).Read More
Valentine'day flower sales
People will still buy. They just may not spend as much. Not everyone will want a $100 arrangement. Some may want a $19.99 bouquet, said Christine Boldt, executive vice president of the Association of Floral Importers of Florida, a Miami-based group.
Flowers are such big business that Miami ranks as the top U.S. airport for international cargo, with flowers its No. 1 import.
Other flower retailers are increasing TV exposure. Los Angeles-based Teleflora, an association of independent florists, advertised Sunday on the Super Bowl for the first time in its 75-year history. "During these hard economic times, Teleflora wants to help our members generate sales and foot traffic into their shops, group president Shawn Weidmann said in a statement.Read More
Valentine's day dinner with scented flowers
A fragrance your beloved likes can be a capturing one at the valentine day dinner. You can fill the air with the fragrance by many ways, like... Here's a technique to win your heart's heart....
If you want a scented candle, add crushed scented flower pieces into the melted wax and then when it is burned the aroma fills the air! Your beloved's heart melts the same way like the wax.
You can also decorate a plain white candle with dried flowers or add them to the wax while it is cooling.
Valentine's day and flower Quotations
These are mellower quotes that err on the humorous side of things:
- True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked. Erich Segal
- Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand. Anonymous
- I was nauseous and tingly all over. I was either in love or I had smallpox! Woody Allen
- The great question, which I have not been able to answer is, What does a woman want?Ã¢?? Sigmund Freud
- If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Anonymous
- Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. Samuel Johnson
- Love wouldnÃ¢??t be blind if the Braille werenÃ¢??t so damned much fun. Anonymous
- Falling in love is so hard on the knees. Aerosmith
- Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties. Jules Renard
- An archeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her. Agatha Christie
- ItÃ¢??s not the men in my life that count itÃ¢??s the life in my men. Mae West
- Love is much nicer to be in than an automobile accident, a tight girdle, a higher tax bracket, or a holding pattern over Philadelphia. Judith Viorst
- Love may not make the world go round, but I must admit that it makes the ride worthwhile. Sean Connery
- Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. Albert Einstein
- We donÃ¢??t believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack. Marie Ebner Von Eschenbach, Aphorism
- What the world really needs is more love and less paper work. Pearl Bailey
- ValentineÃ¢??s Day is when a lot of married men are reminded what a poor shot Cupid really is. Unknown
- Today is ValentineÃ¢??s Day. Or, as men like to call it, Extortion day. Jay Leno
- Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife. Groucho Marx
- One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry. Oscar Wilde
- You canÃ¢??t buy love, but you can pay heavily for it. Henny Youngman
- Love is an electric blanket with somebody else in control of the switch.Cathy Carlyle
- Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. ThereÃ¢??s too much fraternizing with the enemy.Henry Kissinger
- Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. Matt Groening
- You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. Sam Keen
Valentine's Day gruesome truth
I had read events occuring around the regions of Gaza. I could not stop myself from sharing these facts with the flower community.
Add beauty and excitement to your event with nature's most delightful moment of the year with these rainbow of ravishing colors.
But in past years, but in Gaza area, carnations would adorn the homes of lovers across Europe, bringing an early springtime splash of color to wintry Valentine Days.
But the 35-year-old farmer from the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah says that this year his flowers will be fed to animals because of a punishing Israeli economic lockdown of the Hamas-ruled territory.
I apologize to the lovers on the day of their love because I cannot bring flowers to them, Hejazi says. Our flowers have become food for the sheep.
Flower farmers across Gaza, whose sunny climate allows for year-round exports to Europe, have been hard-hit by an Israeli closure regime tightened in June after the Islamist Hamas movement seized power there.
I depend in my work on the Valentine's Day season because I make around 200,000 shekels during this time (about 56,000 dollars), Hejazi says as he surveys a storage room filled with boxes of pink, red and white flowers.Read More
Valentine's day flowers with unique meanings
When choosing Valentines flowers most suitors will go with the traditional colors of either red or white for roses. Clever suitors will researches the meanings behind the flower type and its color to produce a truly meaningful and heartfelt arrangement of Valentines Day flowers.
Petunias tell someone that their presences soothes you, orange blossoms are a symbol of marriage (this makes this flower very appropriate for presenting during a proposal), and phlox tells someone that Ã¢??our souls are unitedÃ¢??. The lily are elegant flowers which tells someone that your love is honorable, pure of heart, and majestic but use caution as the orange lily is interpreted to be a sign of hatred. Spanish jasmine represents sensuality, the purple hyacinth begs forgiveness, hibiscus tells someone that you are consumed by their love and beauty. Pure love is represented by white carnations.
Silk Flower Arrangement for Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day does not necessarily call for fresh flowers for that special someone. In fact, a beautifully presented silk flower arrangement in a sensational basket or vase will last long after real flowers have withered away. This guide provides instruction for creating an easy, but elegant Valentine's Day silk flower arrangement using an inexpensive metal vase in barn red.
Silk Flowers in This Valentine's Day Silk Flower Arrangement
One stem with twelve red roses
Six stems of white carnations
One stem of double baby's breath spray in pale pink
One stem of mixed bush assortment in pale apricot with a mix of off-white and pale yellow flowers
One stem of miniature calla lily
Red Roses for valentines day
A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet
Roses remain the most popular flower to give and receive, but within the species one can find many sentiments. A thornless rose means the receiver need never fear the giver, a rose leaf invites hope and a garland or wreath indicates superiority and merit. A full bunch of open blooms indicates gratitude while a single unopened rose bud speaks of beauty and innocence leading to love.
Red roses symbolize true love and passion; pink shows happiness; yellow friendship and white purity. Red and white together in a bouquet speak of unity, pink and white together symbolize joy and contentment. Tea roses promise memories to come while cabbage roses act as ambassadors of love; musk roses are charming and the Christmas rose calms anxiety.
A Florist's day
A Florist creations are tested and tasted on this Valentine's day. He is approached for some romantic, exclusive personal arrangements.
A Florist's own creativity bags a lot of orders, to fill up valentine's orders. People tend to buy lots of gifts like chocolates, flowers, cards, cuddly teddy bear on display. He is expected to fullfill the demands of the local people.
He acts as an adviser and a messenger to the newcomers to fullfil their promises. Nowadays Online flower delivery from a florist's home has become a rage. Its in one way a very convenient way of wishing happiness to the recipient.
Romancing with the Jewellery on Valentine's day
Which woman doesn't like Jewelery? Jewellery adorned by a woman enhances her beauty.
Romance colors the air as hearts do the talking rustling the tender strings of emotions. And as Valentine's Day comes closer, it's once more time to rekindle the fire of love with splashes of valentine jewelry, roses and gifts.
Indulge yourself in this season of love with some great valentine jewellery ideas. Jewelry doesn't mean that it has to burn a hole in your pocket. Instead it can ignite the feelings of silent love that has been hidden deep within your heart.
The trick is to find something that looks absolutely perfect on your beloved. Charm her and bring out the best of her enigmatic beauty with a delicate piece of finely crafted Valentine jewellery.
Let your sweetheart remember you with this special moment locked inside her heart for all the years to come. Send her some absolutely stunning valentine jewelry. Happy Valentine's day..
Green Roses to Your Valentine.
What a green way to say I Love You or Be My Love. I found green roses on this site accidently. Quickly I saved this url for valentine's day purpose. They are beautified with the green foliage of roses, and baby's breath flowers intermittently.
As green is my beloved's favourite color, she would instantly love it. Hope she will accept it happily. I am very excited and looking forward for her reply.
Unique Chocolate Gift Ideas for Valentines Day
Chocolate doesn't have to be a clichÃÂ© on Valentine's Day! Here are some unique ways to give chocolate in a personal and thoughtful way.
Chocolate for Everyone:
What isn't there to love about chocolate on Valentine's Day? It's an aphrodisiac, and eating it is said to inspire feelings of love due to certain chemical compounds. But don't head for that box of Whitman's Samplers just yet! There's a chocolate option for every type of person. Make someone feel special this Valentine's Day with a unique, personalized chocolate gift.
If your Valentine is always accessorized and has a room full of perfumes, bags, makeup, clothes and boxes of jewelry, these chocolate-inspired gifts are sure to please.
- 1.Choco Choco House's Pure Chocolate Handbag.
- 2.24 Carat Edible Gold Chocolates.
- 3.Chocolate Lip Gloss.
- 4.Luxurious Peruvian Chocolate Facial Mask.
- 5.Chocolate Pearls
Symbols Of The Happy Valentines Day Rose
Every flower says something, we often donÃ¢??t think twice about the message we are sending out when we send a Happy Valentines day rose. The color and type of rose you send speak volumes about you and your feelings for someone.
Meaning Of Color
The color of the Happy Valentines day roses you send to someone say a lot about how you feel. Red roses have always been associated with love and indeed these popular flowers symbolize love. However why not kick it up a notch by adding white roses to a bouquet of red roses.Red and white Happy Valentines day roses symbolize unity. A lovely gesture for someone you love.
Exotic blooms like orchids are also a nice way of expressing your love for someone.
Carnations are beautiful flowers and they are often overlooked in favour of roses at Valentines. They signify everlasting love and were once thought of as an aphrodisiac.
Lilies are also gorgeous flowers and white lilies symbolize innocence and purity.
Add a card with your flowers expressing how they fit your feelings
More than 1 billion roses for the valentine
The US consumes nearly 1.5 billion roses and above during this peak Valentine's day. I came to know the details of the flower industry of the US. Nearly 60 percent of flowers sold in America were plucked from the soil of Colombia.
Colombian women workers earn poverty-level wages, work long hours, and suffer significant health problems due to pesticides.
The International Labor Rights Fund (ILRF) claims that two-thirds of the Colombia's floricultural laborers suffer job-related health problems. The International Labor Organization reports that more than 70% of the flower-workers in Ecuador and Colombia are women.
In Ecuador, 20% of the workers are young girls. These workers are particularly at risk in the days leading up to St. Valentine's Day, when they can be forced to work 20-hour shifts, cutting 300 stems per hour.
These women have daily contact with toxic chemicals but are not given sufficient protective equipment, so it's no surprise that they suffer skin rashes, asthma, miscarriages, respiratory problems and neurological problems.
Valentine's day statistics of 2008
Valentine's day is nearing, with all the stores packed with different varieties of chocolates, flowers, cards etc.
It is estimated that a large company like 1-800-Flowers.com can fill more than a million orders on February 14, even small companies like Organic Bouquet, which sources its flowers from Ecuador, will fill 10,000 orders on V-Day.
Americans spent nearly $26 per person on flowers in 2005, according to the Flower Council of Holland. But if money spent on flower-giving is any indication of true romance, the lover's cup goes to the Swiss, who hand over $101 per person on flowering tributes. (The US sits way back in 17th position.)
International Flower-workers' Day.
A Colombian social justice organization, has called on shoppers to honor February 14th , Valentine's day as International Flower-workers' Day. The Bogota-based organization cites the case of 43-year-old Daisy Perez, who started working at Arrayanes Flowers at the age of 19, "classifying thousands of flowers per hour." In 1995, Perez found herself working at a new company whose managers she describes as "crude, arrogant." A workplace accident left her body half-paralyzed and the company has denied her worker's disability claim.
The social justice organization is asking the world to pay tribute to Daisy and thousands of other workers who are "more important than thousands of flowers." On February 14, the workers simply ask that, when you buy an imported flower, you understand that you are "buying the sweat of many workers."
Valentine's Day is, at heart, all about caring for someone else. So extending those feelings of romantic butterflies and cuddly warmth to include thousands of unseen flower-workers half-a-world away is simply finding a way to celebrate this special occasion at a new, global level. So enjoy Valentine's Day by making sure your red roses are local/fair-trade and "green." Remember: when you buy organic and embrace your partner, you will also be embracing justice.
Valentine Dinner for your beloved
Preparing a dish for your valentine would be the best gift for your valentine. Go, and prepare this delicious dish for your beloved. The popular Valentine dinner is Broccoli, Sweet Onion and Georgia Pecan Salad.
Method and ingredients:
Makes 6 servings Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 large bunch broccoli, tough stem ends removed
- 1/2 cup Georgia pecan halves
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 T. white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 T. vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 T. mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Vidalia or other sweet onion cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper matchsticks (thin strips cut the length of matchsticks)
- 1/4 cup raisins
Method - Separate broccoli into florets. Slice tender stalks into thin crosswise coins. Bring a 2-quart saucepan half full of lightly salted water to a boil. Toss in florets and coins and blanch for 30 seconds, then drain quickly and immerse broccoli in a bowl of ice water. Drain again and chill. Meanwhile, spread pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast at 350ÃÂ°F for 5-7 minutes while you prepare rest of salad.
For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together sugar and vinegar. Stir in soy sauce, garlic and pepper. Whisk in oil and mayonnaise until smooth. Set aside. In a glass serving bowl, combine reserved broccoli, onion slices, pepper matchsticks and raisins. Remove pecans from oven and break in half lengthwise. Just before serving, pour dressing over broccoli mixture and toss to coat ingredients well. Scatter toasted pecans on top.
Valentines day flowers-How to choose them
Can you think of a better way to show your love than giving your lover a stunning gift of Valentine Day Flowers?
One of the best ways to show that strong connection between you and your lovers is through a bouquet of roses. If youÃ¢??re trying to express an element of romance or the love that you share, red roses would be the best choice.
What Do Rose Colors Mean?
- 1.White rose stands for truth, innocence, and says Ã¢??I miss you.Ã¢??
- 2.Light pink roses stand for fun and happiness, while a deeper shade of pink says Ã¢??Thank you.Ã¢??
- 3.Orange roses communicate enthusiasm and desire on the part of the sender.
- 4.Lilac means love at first sight and the coral rose is a definite sign of desire.
- 5.Sweetheart roses of any color state Ã¢??YouÃ¢??re everything to me.Ã¢??
Find the best deals on roses or flowers for your sweetheart
A Bunch Of Mixed Roses For Valentines Day
Buy her this fantastic arrangement of mixed roses for Valentines Dayor any other romantic occasion).
The red rose obviously stands for love, but did you know that the yellow rose is for joy and the pink rose is for admiration.The orange rose is for desire and the white rose stands for innocence.
Go onÃ¢?Â¦tell her you love her, admire her, desire her and that she is a joy to be with!
Valentine's day gift - 2
Gifting your valentine her favorites like chocolates, flowers, Jewellery, spa, also make the things go on smoothly during Valentine's season.
A Woman and Jewellery go hand in hand with each other. Its a rare thing, where a woman doesn't like Jewellery. Exclusive Jewellery for your valentine brings lots of happier moments in her life.
Spa treatments are also liked by woman. More than anything else, jewellery appeals to all woman.
Men and Valentine's day
Valentine's day is an exclusive occasion apart from New Year where almost all the religions celebrate, although there are some serious repercussions celebrated in orthodox and conservative places.
Gifting has become a tradition on Valentine's day. Valentine's day is celebrated by an individual in his own way. Though, a man gifting his woman is more common, nowadays, there are gifts for the man receiving gifts from his woman.
We can say there has been transition from older times, where only a woman was given importance for recieving gifts. Nowadays women also express their feelings towards their men.
A Wedding Valentines' day
My story is a cinematic story, where its hard to believe myself experiencing those moments.
As the tradition goes, my fiancÃÂ© asked my father's permission before proposing. It was a wonderful gesture that my Dad appreciated. Knowing we had my Dad's and his parents blessing made his proposal more meaningful.
This Valentine's day brings a lot of hopes and desires in me with the wedding and Valentine's day being the same day.
Romantic Gestures - 2
There are number of things a woman expects from her man. They may appear very simple, but they play a major role in the deciding on a man for a lifetime.
There may be hundreds of such romantic gestures which may help in being more creative and to win a heart. But here I found some of them for you when I browsed through the net.
Apart from number of things given as gifts, a woman over joys with these simple gestures which appeals to her immensely.
- Massage her feet
- Clean her car
- Stick a post-it love note in the kitchen
- Make a romantic mix CD
- Dance under the stars (with your mix CD playing from the car)
- Hide love notes in her house and car (make sure she'll find them fairly soon).......
In this period of recession, there is the need to think twice on sending expensive gifts to your beloved on Valentine's day. Selecting a good valentine gift poses a problem to some. To such people this single rose gift with lots of love embedded comes to rescue.
My fiancee sent this gift on New Year day, to express his Love. I was bowled by his sweet and simple romantic gesture. I also found the gift suitable to the budget.
Rose is the universal gift for expressing love. This could be ideal gift for such people, looking for both simplicity and for romantic expression.
Chocolate Love on Valentine's Day
Count down on Valentine's day has started. Lovers are on their way to order their beloved's favourites and to capture their hearts. Fresh flowers and Chocolates, greeting cards, etc, come in the foremost for the gifting occassion.
It is a fact that, U.S. consumers show their love for chocolate for Valentine's Day, with Valentine's week ranking number one for chocolate candy sales. According to The Nielsen Company.
- Consumers are expected to purchase more than $345 million in chocolate candy during Valentine's week, accounting for 5.1 percent of chocolate candy's annual sales. On a total candy basis, consumers will purchase more than $448 million during Valentine's.
- More than 58 million pounds of chocolate candy will be sold during Valentine's week. By comparison, nearly 90 million pounds of chocolate candy is sold during Halloween week....
Japanese way of celebrating Valentine's day
Do not get fooled by chocolates given by your Japanese collegues. They are given as Obligation Chocolates, a Japanese custom of giri-choco on Valentine's day.
This is because the Japanese women gift these chocos to all the men in their life, right from offices to neighbourhood.
The first time ValentineÃÂ¢??s Day in Japan was started by the confectionery companies. An outfit called Mary Chocolate claims to have started in 1958, which is the first time, according to the company, chocolate was sold in Japan for V-Day. The gifts were promoted as loverÃÂ¢??s day.
Valentine Choco Roll for your valentine
Prepare your Valentine Choco Roll as a gift to your valentine.
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1-1/2 cups Grated Coconut
- 3/4 cups Crushed Nuts
- 1 cup Crushed Marie Biscuits
Method of Preparation
- Mix together all the ingredients in a pan.
- Heat it on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When it starts thickening and comes in a lump, remove heat.
- Make cylindrical shaped rolls out of the mixture.
- Wrap each roll carefully in cling film.
- Keep the wrapped rolls in refrigerator for about an hour.
- After the due time, take the rolls out of the fridge. Remove the cling film from them and cut each roll into slices.
- Choco Roll is ready to serve.
Valentine Special: Your HoroscopeÃ¢??s Flowers 2009
Flowers Horoscope For You
- Aries: Daisy (March 21-April 19).
- The language of flower: Innocence.
- Taurus: Yellow rose (April 20-May 20).
- The language of flower: Friendship.
- Gemini: Purple rose (May 21-June 20).
- The language of flower: Enchantment.
- Cancer: Brassica campestris (June 21 - July 22).
- The language of flower: Dedicate.
- Leo: Pink rose (July 23-August 22).
- The language of flower: Happiness.
- Virgo: Cosmos bipinnatus (August 23-September 22).
- The language of flower: Joyful and Sincerity.
- Libra: Flamingo Flower (September 23-October 22).
- The language of flower: Beauty and the Refinement.
- Scorpio: Eucalyptus (October 23-November 21).
- The language of flower: Remembrance.
- Sagittarius: Margaret (November 22-December 21).
- The language of flower: Everlasting love.
- Capricom: Purple tulip ecember 22-January 19).
- The language of flower: Declaration of love.
- Aquarius: Moth orchid (January 20-February 18).
- The language of flower: Love between two.
- Pisces: Lily (February 19-March 20).
- The language of flower: Pure Love.
Best roses for valentines day
Red roses are to Valentine's Day what kisses are to love; they make it that much sweeter. Thanks to their beauty and fragrance, red roses have long been a Valentine's Day symbol.
The roses below can convey the depth of your feelings.
- 1.One Dozen Red Roses: This classic Valentine's Day bouquet contains twelve South American red roses. You have the option of upgrading to add more red roses fill out the bouquet and make it even more impressive looking.
- 2.One Dozen Long Stemmed Fancy Red Roses: This selection of long-stemmed red roses features big-headed and elegantly long red roses that open beautifully, each petal a work of art.
- 3.Two Dozen Long-Stemmed Roses with Free Ruby Vase: When a dozen red roses feel like a little less than you want to send and three dozen red roses may stress your budget, choose two dozen red roses to delight your love.
- 4.Three Dozen Long Stemmed Red Roses with Contempo Square Vase: Wow! Whoever gets this swoon-worthy bouquet on Valentine's Day will be dazzled by their beauty and length as well as their quantity.
- 5.Pot of Red Roses: Does she have a green thumb? In that case, she may appreciate this small rose plant even more than cut flowers. The red roses arrive in bloom and can be replanted outside in warm weather.
- 6.One Dozen Red Roses PLUS One Dozen Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries: If there's one thing that can make a Valentine's Day gift of even sweeter, it's a bouquet of red roses accompanied by fresh and fancy strawberries coated in chocolate and rolled in nuts, coconut, or even more chocolate.
Heard of Blue Dyed Roses?
What if a true blue colored rose existed. But there is no true blue colored rose.
The meaning of Blue Rose is The unattainable or impossible. The Red rose on a valentine is for Passionate love.
I was passionate for blue roses, but I found that there was no blue pigment in roses. Only roses can be manipulated, dyed to attain that blue color.
Tips on Making a Valentines Day Rose Bouquet
- 1.Buy miniature roses and rosebuds in the colors, expressing your feeling for the dear one.
- 2.Get a bouquet holder for the bouquet.
- 3.Tie one big ribbon bow atop of the bouquet holderÃ¢??s handle. It is optional to tie a couple of lengths of narrow ribbon there to make ribbon streamers. You will need the silk or satin ribbon in the width of 1- 2 in.
- 4.Make a hand-tied bouquet of miniature roses that will match the taste of the recipient.
- 5.Make a hand-tied bouquet of miniature roses that will match the taste of the recipient.
- 6.Place the roses and some filler, for instance, babyÃ¢??s breath,on a flat surface. Arrange the roses close together to get symmetrical arrangement.
- 7.Tie the stems together using green floral tape or florist wire.
- 8.Trim them so that they remain about 5 in long; afterwards tie a silk or satin bow at the bottom of the nosegay. You will need colorful ribbon in the width of 1-2 in.
- 9.You can adorn the bouquet with nice decorative items to your taste. For spicing up your flower gift you can add balloons, hearts and tiny toys.
3 Homemade Rose Petal Gifts Perfect for Valentine's Day
Rose petals and Valentine's Day are the perfect time to make a few homemade gifts for someone you love or cherish. These are 3 of my favorite easy to make homemade rose petal craft and gifts!
1: Rose Petal Frame
For this simple Valentine's Craft all you need is some paper, fresh rose petals, and a glass frameless frame.Go ahead and take the frame apart. Lay the back on your table. Lay a sheet of paper in any color or even a matt on the back of the frame. Pull off rose petals and outline the matte.
Create rows of individual petals until the matte is as thick as you want.Lay the piece of glass back on top and clip into place. Be sure to add a photo as well. The rose petals will dry flat in the frame and darken a little! This is a great way to save rose petals from a special bouquet.
2: Rose Petal CandlesFollow simple direction for making wax candles. While the wax is liquid and poured into the mold, start dropping in fresh rose petals. The wax will coat them and hold their shape.Try using a clear wax or white wax so the rose petals can be seen.
To create a cool look tries pouring about 1 inch of wax in the bottom of the mold. Layer on the petals. Now, add another ÃÂ½ inch of wax. Layer on more rose petals. Continue this look up the whole candle.You can create so many different looks this way.
3: Rose Petal Sachets
All you need are some simple white organza bags form the craft store. Load them with dried rose petals and dried lavender. The smells work well together and can make yoru whole closet smell great.
If you have enough rose petals make quite a few of these then go ahead and package or save them in zip lock nags. This will keep the smells strong so when you need some more fresh scents in your closet you can pop one out!
These make great gifts when you package them in threes and give to your loved ones.
Tossing Away Your Freeze Dried Rose Petals On Valentine's Day
You can also gift these freeze dried rose petals on your valentine's day as they can be preserved for months and years.
You can keep your memories looking fresh and fabulous with these freeze dried rose petals.
Unlike fresh petals, freeze-dried petals will not wilt or stain clothing. Perfect for decorating a wedding aisle or tossing after the ceremony either indoors or outdoors.
Freeze dried rose petals are natural and eco friendly. They are produced in a facility that is fully powered by wind and hydro generated electricity.
They have an amazing shelf-life that means you can have the freeze dried rose petals delivered ahead of your wedding or event and not worry about them wilting, perishing, becoming slippery, or having to keep them refrigerated as you would need to do with fresh rose petals.
The Eco-friendly Valentine Rose Petals
The Eco-friendly Valentine Rose Petals is the perfect choice for Valentine romantic evenings, proposal, anniversary, birthdays, corporate events, hot air balloon release, petal path, rose petal walkway, garden path, table decoration, honeymoon, massage, rose petal turn down service, plane fly overs, memorial service,etc.
Check... They might be the gift loved by your love.
A delicious Valentine's day
I found this delicious gift, that is just as sweet as my beloved. Three adorable gift boxes hold a divine selection of treats for my fiancee's enjoyment on Valentine's Day.
My beloved will have fun opening one box after another to find Seattle Milk Chocolate Truffles, Watermelon Sours, Cherry Candies, and Cookies.
The boxes are full of Love and praise for my beloved. I could notstop my myself from sending this adorable gift this valentine. Hope it will reach on the V Day.
I was browsing through the net, on topics like flowers and other related topics.
I found an interesting page where I could not stop myself from reading it. It was called as flower horoscopes.
I fall under Aquarius: Jan. 21-Feb. 19 / Flower: Orchid. Since i fall to Orchids, I began reading the information. later I realised that that made me cautious enough for the future impediments. But it may also hinder the growth the person being more cautious.
Valentine Flower Arrangements
Valentines Day is observed all over the world on 14th February. This day is principally associated with conveying the innermost feelings to your loved ones.Valentine flowers and valentine gift cards will be highly attractive combination. When you think of gifting flower to someone, you need to make a perfect arrangement for flower delivery too. But your prime focus has to be on the valentine flower arrangements that what kind of arrangement shall be able captivate the onlooker.
A few of the types of Valentine Flower Arrangements are:
Arranging Roses for Valentine's Day
When preparing roses for arranging, cut stems at a 45-degree angle underwater and remove the guard petals if they're blemished. To get the roses to open more quickly, fill the vase with warm water. To minimize bacterial growth, remove the foliage below the waterline. Don't forget to add some cut-flower food or a teaspoon of sugar.
To arrange a dozen roses, try placing four each into a dessert cup. For two dozen, a vase is just the trick. For three dozen, make small bundles of three or four roses and ferns using rubber bands. Arrange the flowers in the water-filled bowl and lay in ferns around the perimeter.