Preston Bailey has made a name for himself creating opulent events and floral fantasies for celebrities such as Donald Trump, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Oprah. His flair for the dramatic has made him one of the most sought after event designers in the world.
After 27 years in business, Preston Bailey has become especially renowned for his ability to completely transform raw, ordinary spaces into sumptuous, theatrical environments, translating his clients fantasies into awe-inspiring reality.
Preston Bailey was born and raised in the verdant, tropical paradise of Panama so its little wonder that he is world renowned for his innate sense of style, inspired by the vibrant colors, organic shapes, and lush natural abundance of his homeland. Preston moved to New York City in 1968 at the age of 19 and began his career in the design world as a fashion model, eventually opening a mens clothing boutique.
When his store closed in 1980, Preston was in need of a job. His friend Vincente Wolfe, an interior designer, suggested that Preston create floral arrangements for some of his clients. This was the modest beginning of Prestons stellar career as a floral couturier which eventually expanded into that of an event designer.
Prestons favorite flowers are orchids, peonies and roses. Bailey also loves to make containers for his flowers. Via his 2006 partnership with 1-800-FLOWERS.com, a leading multi-channel retailer, Preston's exquisite, floral creations are now easily accessible to customers everywhere.
Preston Bailey's Achievements
- Preston Bailey has attracted such clients as Donald Trump, Oprah Winfrey, Uma Thurman, Joan Rivers, Donna Karan, Liza Minnelli, Matt Lauer, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas, Laurence Fishburne, Emmitt Smith, and Bill Cosby.
- Prestons numerous television appearances include The Oprah Winfrey Show, Martha Stewart, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra, CBSs The Early Show, and The Today Show.
- In July 2006 he starred in his own show, Preston Bailey, Mr. Fabulous which aired on the oh! Oxygen network and was the networks highest rated program to date.
- He regularly appears in dozens of national publications, including The New York Times, Vogue Magazine, InStyle, Town & Country, Good Housekeeping, Black Enterprise, Bride's and People Magazine.
- Preston is on the Advisory Board of Modern Bride Magazine.
Books by Preston Bailey
- Preston Bailey's Design for Entertaining: Inspiration for Creating the Party of Your Dreams
- Preston Bailey's Fantasy Weddings
- Preston Bailey Celebrations: Lush Flowers, Dramatic Table Settings, Inspired Spaces, and Other Ideas for Entertaining
Some Tips from Preston
- When entertaining in your home, bring the outside in. Use flowers or grasses from your garden or window box to decorate the table. You can create a unique organic table runner by stringing together leaves with raffia or natural cord. You can also use oversized leaves as placemats.
- One of his favorite tricks for creating unexpected décor is to use fruit. In the summer use watermelons as vases -- you scrape them out and fill them with flowers. You can also fill different sized clear glass vases with monochromatic fruits -- black cherries, plums, and figs -- for a fresh, easy centerpiece.
- Another element that he uses at almost all his parties is the "rose bowl". The arrangement is easy to make, but creates an intricate, delicate look. To make the "rose bowl" at home, you fill a low glass bowl with water and then float rose petals in it, beginning on the outside edge and working your way towards the center. When you are done, you will have what looks like a beautiful oversized rose!
- Put gardenias in the bathrooms. Float a few in a decorative bowl. They have such a wonderful scent, it is an unexpected treat!