Looking to send flowers to a someone special ?
Facts About California
- Some suggest that the word California may come from the early Spanish explorers who entered California via the hot southern regions and referred to California as being "hot as an oven" (cali > hot, fornia > oven).
- California’s capital city is Sacramento.
- California attained statehood on September 9, 1850.
- California is nicknamed as Golden State.
- California’s largest cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco.
- Bordering States of California are Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona.
- Other natural wonders in California include Lassen Peak, one of two active volcanoes in the U.S.
- Economically, the most important plant in the family is the opium poppy ( P. somniferum ), now widely cultivated from Europe to East Asia.
- The top tourist spots of California are: Disneyland, Anaheim; Universal Studios, Hollywood; Sea World, San Diego; Knott’s Berry Farm, Buena Park; Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia; Santa Cruz Beach, Boardwalk, Santa Cruz, etc,.
- California’s diverse geography, geology, soils and climate have generated a tremendous diversity of plant and animal life.
- California’s nickname The Golden State is in reference to the California Gold Rush, and not to the golden brown summer hillsides as is sometimes stated
- California is also a leader in energy efficiency.
- The University of California is widely considered as one of the most prestigious public university systems in the world.